Saturday, October 11, 2014

NESA Scholarship Prompt

Scholarship: National Eagle Scout Association Academic Scholarship
Prompt: Describe what it means to be an Eagle Scout.




To be an Eagle Scout isn't an award to be shelved a week later, nor is being an Eagle Scout a way to get an easy pass in life through respect from others. Being an Eagle Scout is being a leader, for everything accomplished over the years of scouting to be looked upon by upcoming scouts, who also with to reach their Eagle Rank.

Since I was in Elementary School, I’ve been a scout, and have learned many techniques over the years, ranging from how to camp properly, to properly learning how to cook. While all of this was fun, it never showed me what was needed in order to become a leader. It wasn’t until this past year that I’ve learned how to become a proper leader, which was done through my Eagle Scout Project, a service project that would benefit the schools, religious facilities, or the community. With my project based around a citywide food drive to benefit the “Hebron Food Pantry for Working-class Citizens” of Attleboro, I had to learn what it took to become a leader in order to fulfill my Eagle Scout Project.

With my project, there were many aspects where being a leader was necessary, including organizing the initial project by going to different locations and other people to find out how to go about the project, fundraising the project in order to get all of the supplies necessary, and create a schedule and plan for the volunteers and scouts to follow by and be kept safe. From all of this, I’ve learned to create my Eagle Scout project, and have it based around different parts of Attleboro each week, I’ve learned how to properly create an organized fundraiser in order to pay for the supplies necessary, and I’ve learned to create a schedule that would keep all of the volunteers and scouts safe while helping fulfill my project.

In the end, I’ve successfully completed my project over the span of five weeks, and am now officially an Eagle Scout. However, I found that I would have never been able to complete my Project had I not learned how to become a leader. Through becoming a leader, I was able to learn what was necessary in order to succeed with my project, and was able to show not just myself, but other scouts within my troop what is needed in order to become a leader. It’s through this experience that makes me an Eagle Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment